Monday, February 13, 2006

moving into spring...

The past few weeks have been pretty FOXtastic (that one’s for you Drew), comprising mostly of: little to no schoolwork and time with friends. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t get much better than that☺ There has been a moment or two of seriousness, picking out spring classes, arranging (or trying to arrange) “my future,” and “practicing” my Italian but, I try not to let those moments become too many. On the more exciting (at least for me) side, I’ve had time to experiment in the field of Italian cuisine. Nothing too extravagant, just a couple things that maybe I’ll be able to show off when I get back. It’s pretty fun though☺ A couple weeks ago we met up with some Italians to see the Olympic flame being run through Bologna. It was pretty cool but, a bit intense. There were huge crowds lined up along the streets and police, in full riot gear, surrounded the runner. The police were necessary because there were tons of protestors trying to keep up with the runner. They were demonstrating against Coke and the whole event was pretty serious however, I couldn’t help chuckling because the protestors, obviously, weren’t all in the best physical condition so their effort outmatched their ability just a bit☺ Also, I caught my second opera in Bologna. Ten times better than the first one we saw! It was called “Andrea Chenier” (I think) and it was absolutely beautiful…ridiculous dresses, gorgeous voices, and a dramatic love story…of course I liked it! And…we helped celebrate Mozart’s birthday by going to see his ‘Requiem’ performed at a church here. That was beautiful as well but, I don’t think I’m much of a critic. I tend to be easily pleased so, if I say it was amazing, believe me with the understanding that I just really like music and am more or less pleased when any effort is given☺
I also had the opportunity to catch a troupe from New York put on "West Side Story" in Bologna...it was pretty cool to see, the music was good and the translations were consistently funny!
What else...the weather is finally getting nice! Spring comes in almost two months early here (compared to WI!). And, just in time for classes to start...how convienent:) Most of my classes start this week (ugh) and, depending on how many credits I want to take, the courses themselves and the Italian system, I could be done anywhere between May and July. I'm going to do my best to make it May!
Oh! We were able to see the Superbowl!! That was SOOO exciting! One of the managers of an Irish pub nearby said that he would keep his place open for us as long as we managed to bring in 20 Americans. It was really nice of him seeing as how the game didn’t start until 1am over here. It was pretty awesome….pros: a few Europeans, who didn’t know that much about football, watched with us and were pretty amusing (comparing it to rugby!) and it was so exciting to see a football game after so much soccer! Cons: the commentary was in Italian and U.S. commercials weren’t shown…bummer.
And, for those interested, my social life has changed a bit. I’ve met a pretty amazing Irish guy and we’ve been spending a lot of time together…it was the last thing I expected but, the most exciting thing that has happened. I’m not going to say too much, mostly because it’s a little strange writing it…but I’ll throw in an update here and there. Oh! And I’m going to ask for a little pity because I just got through my SECOND sickness here! Ugh…it was awful! It seems slightly unfair to deal with sickness when you’re abroad! My tonsils were huge and I had a fever…not exactly comfortable but, it gave me plenty of reason to be lazy, complain a bit and be catered to. And, I guess I survived…whew! So besides classes starting up this week and the work load appearing, a bunch of us have been working out plans to make a couple trips in the next few months. The first will most likely be a stop in Turin to see the Olympics. Wish us luck for getting tickets…the Italians really haven’t shown that much enthusiasm for the games so we’re hoping to just take a train up and find some tickets available.
...I’m running out of battery on my computer so I’ll have to end here but, again, I’ll really try and update before another month goes by. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, ALL!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home