Monday, September 19, 2005

first exam...done

Classes are completely underway now, my first exam was yesterday and they have a huge pile of homework for us...so what should I really be doing right now?? I've realized though that it's a bit hard to study notes that i've taken in half english and half italian...I have to translate my own notes! Needless to say I bombed the test...yep. But hopefully I wasn't the only one, I need to convince the italians to curve the grades!
It was just Krissy and I in the apartment this weekend...one of our rommates still hasn't moved in, she's kind of MIA and our roommate Silvia went off for the weekend. OH...an example of my translating ablities: before Silvia left she and I were talking and she started explaining something to me and this is what I heard..."the man that lives below us is going to have a dinner party at 7:30 and he would really appreciate if we didn't walk on the kitchen floor at that time." Right, I thought that was a bit strange, but maybe our shoes are really loud or something. I was relaying this message to Krissy later and she said Silvia had talked to her too and here's what she heard..."the man that lives below is going to have a dinner party at 7:30 and he's going to stop by cause he needs to borrow a chair." We bet each other and needless to say at 7:30 I was tip-toeing around when the man below showed up to borrow a chair. Sigh.
It rained all weekend here which was a definite bummer cause there was a HUGE outdoor MTV concert with all the big italian artists! The music here is pretty hilarious...some of it's really good but they mostly listen to american artists...old american stuff. Artists or songs that have been in the states for the last 10yrs or so are really popular over here (like David Bowie, sting, U2, bon jovi...), all the huge pop hits they like, and for some reason Robbie Williams is really popular. We ate lunch at this really cute pizzeria the other day and they seriously had "tina turner's greatest hits" on repeat:-) But Joe came up for the weekend and I got a chance to hang out with some of the german-irish students from class some more so that was pretty fun!
Today we visited a semi-creepy, semi-cool museum in Bologna. The cool part: it was an old palace that was turned into a school so we were able to climb this huge tower and see all the old astronomy instruments and get a great view of the city, there were rooms full of huge model ships and nautical stuff that I knew nothing about, and there was a room full of old weapons and armor that looked pretty scary:-) The creepy part: they had a whole room dedicated to some guy who wanted to collect random things from nature so there were preserved fish and odd animals everywhere (I guess that doesn't sound so bad but the lights were dim in that room and it was just weird), there was a room with all these ancient surgical tools which just personally didn't appeal to me and then there were two rooms filled with all these wax depictions of the human body for medical study. It was an interesting tour.
Other than that, tonight a bunch of us from the program are just going to hang out and i'm going to be prepping for my meeting with the program director to decide classes tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home