Tuesday, September 27, 2005

describing myself in one word: forgetful:-)

So my program took us to Urbino and it was competely amazing...literally unreal. We were dropped off at the bottom this hill (the whole time driving into the area it was amazing because the castles in the city were siloutted-i have no idea if that's spelled right...sound it out-against the sky) and we climbed up these stairs back in time to the late renaissance. Everything was beautiful...the small cobblestone streets, the little churches, the unbelievable architecture and especially the huge palace that was at the top of the hill. My only complaint was that I had to take notes during the whole thing. Ah well.
Sunday we didn't have anything to do and one of the guys in the program, Isaac, had to be in Florence monday morning so we decided to make a trip out of it and we took off by train sunday afternoon! It was sooo much fun! Krissy and I spent the whole afternoon wandering the markets...it was pretty exciting because we both wanted to buy something leather (apparently that's what Florence is for) so we started looking at jackets and ending up buying two for the original price of one! The guy that was selling them to us was so surprised and excited when we spoke to him in italian instead of english that he started knocking the price down right away! After a little hesitation and indecision on our part he dropped the price even lower so I couldn't pass up buying a Florentine jacket for just under 80euro:-) I'm a sucker, I know it:-) That night we had a mission though, we figured that as long as we were in a central tourist area we should find a pub to watch the sunday afternoon football games. There's no such thing here as a lazy sunday afternoon spent watching football and just relaxing so we set out to find something close. It took us awhile (every time we ask italians for directions they almost always say "something something, sempre in diritto" which means 'just go straight,' but in these old cities you can only go straight for so long...I don't get it, so we always end up walking on and on and on) but eventually we found a pub full of americans and we got to see some football...that may not sound that exciting but it was a little taste of home for us:-)
In the morning we set out to do some sight-seeing, we only had two things on the list: Santa Maria Novella and David. Doesn't sound too complicated, right? Santa Maria was no problem, we found that right away and it was one of the coolest churches i've seen so far. I think everybody in there stands in awe for at least 30seconds...at least:-) In my case, I could've stood in the middle staring at the art all day...luckily Krissy and Isaac were there to pull me away. It was like a mini renaissance hall of fame with Masaccio, Giotto, Brunelleschi, and Ghirlandaio (the guy Michaelangelo was first apprenticed to) just to name a few:-) For anyone remotely interested in art, check out this church! Then we set out to find David...this shouldn't have been that difficult because I was there last summer and Isaac knows his way around Florence pretty well. Right, well we ended up in line and entering the building with the fake David outside...if you haven't been to Florence, the real David is not inside the building with the fake David...I don't know whose idea that was. We ended taking a pretty cool tour of the Palazzo Vecchio though which was lucky because the actual Accademia with David in it was closed:-( Another excuse to visit I guess:-)
We got back into Bologna Mon. night...random note: we just learned this italian card game and we were playing on the train and I happened to sit next to this italian man who struck up a conversation with us. He drove me crazy cause he would take one look at my cards and know exactly what to play to win and I had no idea and he would just chuckle at me every time I played the wrong card...apparently it's an easy game so that's why he was laughing but I haven't discovered the strategy yet:-) Also, I had a minor panic attack on the train because I realized that one of my classes may have started monday evening, but I forgot to check my schedule before leaving. Sure enough when we got back I looked and I've officially skipped my first class in Italy...oops.
Wow, this is getting long...just a bit more. Last night we caught our first movie in Bologna, "Good Night, Good Luck"...dubbed of course. It was pretty good from what I caught:-) I haven't watched that many dubbed movies and I thought it was kinda hard to watch this one because a lot of the words are similar so I kept getting confused that the words didn't exactly match the lips so I ended up either just watching the characters or just listening to the script...i'm not very good at italian yet:-) And today I have a gazillion hours of homework to do! I already tried to start it once today but then I had another episode like the one with Silvia and the man who lives below me only this time I thought a guy at the library wanted to give me money to use my time on the computer (I thought this was a pretty sweet deal since he wanted to give me 15euro and I only paid 9) but in the end I found out he wanted to pay me to type up a bunch of papers for him...not as fun, I apologized and ran away...well walked away:-)
Oh well...enough procrastinating...:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home