Friday, September 23, 2005

week 5 already!

These weeks are going by way too fast! Well maybe not TOO fast because I'm really excited to get visitors, but still it's friday already! I had two more visitors though! Two friends from California came down from Austria on wednesday during their tour of Italy. It's amazing how exciting it really is to see familiar faces over here:-) We got to spend some good time together eating gelato (I think Bologna can claims some of the best!), returning to the creepy museum only to find out that there was a whole other creepy part that I didn't see the first time (it was a strange futuristic room with crazy sci-fi music playing and screens showing random things), and climbing the tower! There's this superstition with the tower that if you climb it before you are done with school you won't graduate...hopefully climbing 3+ times cancels the superstition!
We watched a GREAT movie in my language class today...if anyone is interested in foreign films, rent "I Cento Passi." It's about the mafia and it's based on a true story...I think that's all I need to say:-) My other class is going ok too, it's a lot harder to sit through, because it's all lecture, no participation. So for two hours italian is just spoken at me...zzzzzzz:-) We're heading out with that class to Urbino though tomorrow morning for a guided tour of the city, so that should be pretty awesome. And I did meet with my director about university classes...that was a little bit of a rude awakening to actually realize that I wouldn't survive in most classes here. I thought I'd be able to take some different art classes, poli sci classes...something like that, but when the director brought up the descriptions I was pretty sure I didn't want to try and explain, in italian, political/social/economic differences between countries or the difference/impact of dadoism or other art concepts...I don't think any professor would want to have to listen to me try either:-) Sooooo, i'll mostly be taking history courses and maybe a literature class:-)
My italian is getting a little better each day, some days are better than others...but little by little I'm picking up words or phrases or thinking faster. It's so much fun finding real bolognese (people born and bred in Bologna) because they teach us all the slang and jargon that the student population uses. And there are SO MANY students here...I can't remember if i've mentioned this already but, (and for those of you at madison, imagine this!) there are approximately 100,000 students at this university!!!!!!! Crazy! They make up like a third of the whole city!
Ok...my time is running out at the library. OH! I saw that the Badgers are winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home